What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small piece of text that websites send to the browser and that is stored on the user’s terminal, which can be a personal computer, a mobile phone, a tablet, etc. These files allow the website to remember information about your visit, such as language and preferred options, which can facilitate your next visit and make the site more useful by personalizing its content. Cookies play a very important role in improving the experience of using the Web.
How are cookies used?
By browsing this Web portal, the user is accepting that cookies can be installed on their terminal and that they allow us to know the following information:
- Statistical information on the use of the web.
- The user’s ‘login’ to keep the session active on the web.
- The preferred web format for access from mobile devices.
- The latest searches made in the web services and personalization data of these services.
- Information about the advertisements displayed to the user.
- Information from the surveys in which the user has participated.
- Data of the connection with social networks for users who access with their Facebook or Twitter user.
Types of cookies used
This website uses both temporary session cookies and permanent cookies. Session cookies store data only while the user accesses the Web and permanent cookies store the data in the terminal so that they are accessed and used in more than one session.
Depending on the purpose for which the data obtained through cookies are processed, the Web may use:
They are those that allow the user to navigate through the website or application and use the different options or services that exist in it. For example, controlling traffic and data communication, identifying the session, accessing restricted access web parts, remembering the elements that make up an order, making a request for registration or participation in an event, using security elements during the browsing and storing content for broadcasting videos or sound.
They are those that allow the user to access the service with some general characteristics predefined in their terminal or that the user himself defines. For example, the language, the type of browser through which you access the service, the selected content design, the geolocation of the terminal and the regional configuration from where you access the service.
They are those that allow the effective management of the advertising spaces that have been included in the Web page or application from which the service is provided. They allow the content of the advertising to be adapted so that it is relevant to the user and to avoid showing ads that the user has already seen.
Statistical analysis cookies
They are those that allow the monitoring and analysis of user behavior on Web sites. The information collected through this type of cookie is used to measure the activity of the Web sites, application or platform and to create navigation profiles of the users of said sites, in order to introduce improvements in the service based of the usage data made by users.
Third party cookies
On some Web pages, third-party cookies can be installed that allow you to manage and improve the services offered. As for example, statistical services of Google Analytics.
How to manage cookies in the browser?
The user has the option of allowing, blocking or eliminating the cookies installed on his computer by configuring the options of the browser installed on his terminal:
To adjust the permissions related to cookies in the Google Chrome browser :
- Click on the menu located on the toolbar.
- Select Settings .
- Click Show advanced options .
- In the “Privacy” section, click on the Content Settings button .
- In the “Cookies” section you can configure the options.
To adjust the permissions related to cookies in the Mozilla Firefox browser :
- In the upper part of the Firefox window, click on the Tools menu .
- Select Options .
- Select the Privacy panel .
- In the Firefox option you can choose Use a custom configuration for the history to configure the options.
- More information about Mozilla Firefox
To adjust the permissions related to cookies in the Internet Explorer 9 browser :
- In the upper part of the Internet Explorer window, click on the Tools menu .
- Select the Security tab and use the Delete browsing history option to delete cookies. Activate the Cookies box and then click Delete.
- Select the Security tab and use the Settings move the slider fully up to block all cookies or fully down to allow all cookies. After that, click OK .
- More information about Internet Explorer
In some browsers, specific rules can be configured to manage cookies by website, which offers more precise control over privacy. This means that cookies can be disabled from all sites except those that are trusted.